Monday, July 18, 2011

Proud in Spirit

Hosea 2:19 “I will betroth you to Me forever;
Yes, I will betroth you to Me in righteousness and in justice,
In lovingkindness and in compassion,
20 And I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness.
Then you will know the LORD.

God's faithfulness surpasses our knowledge. He will 'betroth us to Him forever'. Forever! We get to be His forever. Reading through the first two chapters of Hosea has reopened my eyes to God's faithfulness. Every time I fall, He is there to pick me up. He will betroth me to Him and be faithful when I am faithless. God is so good.
While discussing this with a good friend of mind, I was realizing how faithless I am and how I claim to love God but do I really live it?
When non-believers or new believers get to know me they often think of me as 'perfect' or my sin being not as awful as theirs. It is a hard place to be in and I know in my heart and head that I am not better than them at all. I am just as bad as them and in that way I sympathize. But my pride does not come from 'my sin being better' but rather sense that my relationship with God is better than theirs, thus making me better.
God has renewed me and my relationship with Him is wonderful but that doesn't make my pride in our relationship any better. How silly I am to let my pride overcome me in a way that isn't even noticeable until I examine my heart?

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction,
And a haughty spirit before a fall.
19 Better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly,
Than to divide the spoil with the proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment